Governor of Imo state, Hope Uzodimma’s convoy was attacked on Monday August 17, as the Governor was on his way to the 34 Artillery Brigade in Obinze, to inaugurate an officers mess built by the state government.
While the hoodlums armed with guns and machetes claimed to be staff members of the Imo State Oil Producing Areas Development Commission (ISOPADEC) and also disclosed they were protesting non-payment of their salaries, the state government said its position that most of the protests in the state were sponsored by the opposition had been vindicated.
The state Commissioner of Police Isaac Akinmoyede who confirmed the arrest of 15 suspects linked to the attack, said they were arrested with one locally-made pistol, two machetes, a mask, a chain and a padlock. He also disclosed that the incident which occurred around Concord area of New Owerri, did not claim any life.
“They attacked the vehicles in the convoy with a locally made pistol and machetes.
“But in the process, windscreens of some of the vehicles in the convoy were smashed and the vehicles damaged.”
The police commissioner added that the suspects have been handed over to state Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.