Adamu, in his statement that was released in Abuja by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Education, Mrs. Priscillia Ihuoma, disclosed that only 28 candidates from Zamfara State have registered for the 2018 National Common Entrance Examination.
The minister said the Federal Government was disturbed about the low number of candidates that are seeking admission into its 104 colleges across the country.
He had to plead with state governments, heads of schools and other interested groups in order to persuade school-age children in the areas with low registration to register for the common entrance examination, he made it known that a directive had been given so that the portal can still be open for registration until April 13.
Adamu said the report of a stakeholders’ meeting that was held recently shown that Taraba, Kebbi and Zamfara states had the least number of candidates who registered for the common entrance examination. While Taraba had 95 candidates, Kebbi had 50.
The release read in part:
“Ahead of the 2018 National Common Entrance Examination for admission of candidates into the 104 Federal Government colleges on Saturday, April 14, the minister has expressed worry over low registration for the examination so far.
“According to him, the report of a meeting of major stakeholders in the education sector said candidates registered in 2018 stood at 71,294 as against 80,421 that wrote the examination in 2017.
“The report further shows three states with the highest number of pupils registered so far are: Lagos with 24,465 candidates, the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, with 7,699 and Rivers State with 4,810 candidates respectively. On the other hand, three states with extreme low registration are: Zamfara with only 28 candidates, Kebbi, 50 and Taraba, 95 candidates respectively.”
The minister Adamu said the examination would go well as it was planned and enjoined state governments, parents, heads of schools and relevant interest groups in areas to take steps to help the situation.