A young couple three children were found dead after they sprayed an agro-chemical in order to kill crawling insects at their apartment.
The children, nine-month-old twin girls, and their two-year-old younger brother all passed away at the 37 Military hospitals, last Friday night.
According to Adomonline, the family arrived at the hospital with acute respiratory problems, hours after they all inhaled the deadly substance that is called organophosphate, contained in a product called Topstoxin.
Topstoxin is a fumigation tablet that is used for insect control in stored grains, feeds, and processed food.
The substance, who is also called AlP, is used as an insecticide, rodenticide and a fumigant for stored cereal grains.
Experts reveal it is used in killing small verminous mammals such as rodents and moles.
The parents said they acquired the poisonous substance that was based on recommendations from a close friend after they had unsuccessfully tried to control insects with regular sprays.
The mother of the late children had sprayed the rooms and went away for six hours before returning to her house. The parents told the medical team that instructions on the bottle advised users to stay clear of the sprayed areas until after five hours.
On getting home after six hours of using the Agro-chemical, the bereaved father started feeling ill and so seek medical care and came back home only to find that his wife and children are finding it difficult to breathe.
The father, who was still feeling weak at that moment, sought help from co-neighbours, who rushed him and his entire family to the hospital.
In spite the children were placed on oxygen to help their breathing, they all died shortly after.
The hospital kept the parents for proper observation but they were later discharged on Saturday and have been asked to report to again for a medical checkup.
Health authorities are carrying out an investigation on the source of the chemical that was being used. The 37 Military Hospital confirmed the incident that occurred and said a sample of the substance has been sent to the Public Health Division, the Food and Drugs Authority and the Environmental Protection Agency for further investigations. The parents’ names have not been released.
A hospital source who pleaded to be anonymous said:
”We cannot release the identities of the parents and the deceased children because we are bound to respect their private space.”
The three children will be buried tomorrow Tuesday, April 24.